General Motors, LLC
Complete Paint Shop
Gallagher-Kaiser (GK) has had a presence at General Motors Flint for many years. When GM committed to building a new paint shop, GK was awarded the major project.
The project, which included a new building, as well as, new process equipment, began in February 2014 and was completed in 2016, launching 2 months ahead of schedule. GM Flint was the third new paint facility in North America to use an environmentally friendly wet-coat paint process.
Paint Shop Facts:
- 1,450,000 square foot building located on land South of Flint Assembly
- Approximately 10,000 tons of steel will be erected by 3 large cranes over a 7 month period
- Total concrete area of 1.3 million square feet or 20,000 cubic yards
- Full production is scheduled for third quarter 2016
Paint Shop Environmental Facts:
- 90 percent reduction in sludge to landfill
- Facility will use 20 percent gas and 40 percent less electricity
- Improved air management
- Energy Star rated
Paint Quality Facts:
- Latest Waterborne Integrated Process (3 Wet) Topcoat System
- First class appearance
- Improved sealers and coating to increase corrosion resistance
November 4th, 2015 Gallagher-Kaiser received the Hartford Award for 1,000,000 Hours Worked Without a Lost Time Incident!